This is a basic tutorial on how to remove the hetero-atoms (HETATMS) and chains from PDB files. It is an important step for computational and molecular dynamics simulation.
There are two simple ways to remove HETATMS and chains from PDB files.
1. Using a text editor
- Open your PDB file in an editor such as notepad++ (in Windows) or gedit/notepadqq (in Linux).
- Go to the end of the file. There you will see many lines with ‘HETATM’ in the first column from the right (Figure 1).
- Remove these lines. DON’T remove the last two lines (‘MASTER’ & ‘END’).
Figure 1 HETATM rows in a PDB file.
Now, look at the fifth column in Figure 1. As you can see, there are four chains in that protein: A, B, C, and D. Let’s suppose we need chain A only, then we have to remove the rest of the three chains.
- After removing HETATM rows, start removing other chains from the row having ‘TER’ in the first column from the right (Figure 2).
Figure 2 Chain D in the PDB file.
- Keep removing until you reach the line showing ‘TER’ in the first column and ‘A’ in the fifth column (Figure 3). Now, you must be left with the last two rows (MASTER & END) at the end of file.
- Now, save this file.
Figure 3 Remaining chain A and the last two rows (MASTER & END) at the end of the file.
2. Using Pymol
The first option seems tedious as compared to using Pymol.
- Open PDB file in Pymol.
- Go to the bottom left panel. There you will see some options including ‘S’ and ‘F’.
- Click on ‘S’. It will display the chains/ amino acid residues present in that structure.
- Just above these options, you will see: “Selecting: Residues” written there (Figure 4).
Figure 4 Bottom-left panel in Pymol showing ‘S’ option.
- Left-click with the mouse on Residues one time. It will show ‘Chains’ (Figure 5).
Figure 5 Bottom-left panel in Pymol showing ‘Chains’ option.
- Let’s suppose you need only chain A. Go to the displayed amino acid residues. Scroll to the end.
- Select the chains that you want to delete by left-clicking with your mouse.
- Go to the top right panel. There you will three rows including ‘(sele)’. Click on ‘A’ (means action). It will show a small window, select ‘remove atoms’. It will remove the selected chains.
- Now, go to File –> Export Molecule –> PDB Options. Check ‘Write CONECT records for all bonds’ and uncheck ‘Write segment identifier (segi) column’. The latter is optional. Click ‘Save’.
Now, you have successfully removed all HETATMS and irrelevant chains from your PDB file.
- The PyMOL Molecular Graphics System, Version 1.2r3pre, Schrödinger, LLC.
How to install the LigAlign plugin on Pymol on Ubuntu (Linux)?
Few errors appear when we try to run the LigAlign plugin  in Pymol . For example, if you try to run the ligand_alignment plugin, it will give you multiple errors including “Unable to initialize LigAlign v1.00“, or “can’t run LigAlign v1.00” or “incorrect Python syntax” or “Plugin has been installed but initialization failed“. In this article, we explain the reason for this issue and how you can rectify these errors. (more…)
How to make an impactful science presentation?
After your hard work, it is time to showcase your study and the methods of your study to an audience. You must make every point useful and informative. Here, in this article, we are going to share some tips to make your scientific presentation impactful. (more…)