It is difficult to decide which book to read to start learning bioinformatics. Beginners can read this article to know the basic steps involved in learning bioinformatics. A few books are suggested in this article to read for starters in bioinformatics.
Bioinformatics books will help you understand the basic concepts and techniques in bioinformatics. All kinds of books are available for beginners including for programming, machine learning, and so on. For starters, beginners can read the following books:
- Bioinformatics and Functional Genomics 3rd Edition by Pevsner: If you need to learn very basic concepts of bioinformatics, then read this book.
- Let Us C by Yashvant Kanetkar: To start to learn to program, you should start with basic computer languages such as C/C++.
- Learning Perl, Programming Perl, Intermediate Perl, and Mastering Perl from O’Reilly: for learning Perl and BioPerl.
- Think Python, Learning Python, Fluent Python from O’Reilly: for learning Python,
- Bioinformatics Methods and Protocols: for learning bioinformatics in molecular biology.
- Introduction to Linux- A Hands on Guide: to learn basics of Linux.
Beginners Guide to Bioinformatics for High Throughput Sequencing: to learn about managing high throughput sequencing data.
These are some books for gaining knowledge in bioinformatics. You can always add more. Try to advance in programming languages. This is the essential requirement if you want to become a bioinformaticist.