Detecting viruses and bacteria in RNA-seq data with less false positive rate is a difficult task. A new tool is introduced to detect pathogens in RNA-seq data with high precision and recall known as Pathonoia .
Pathonoia uses k-mer based method for species identification. It provides a nice framework that shows microbe-host interactions.
How Pathonoia works?
- Pathonoia algorithm uses Kraken2 to align RNA-seq reads and to generate k-mer assignments and a taxonomic classification for each read.
- It then combines all k-mer assignments of a sample into a non-read-count-based abundance metric.
- Further, users are allowed to subject the output to downstream analysis that includes differential abundance analysis and differential expression analysis.
- It finally outputs the potential effect of the organism in sample.
Pathonoia is capable of supporting novel hypotheses on microbial infections . It is written in Python language and is freely available on GitHub.
For further reading, click here.
- Liebhoff, AM., Menden, K., Laschtowitz, A. et al. (2023). Pathogen detection in RNA-seq data with Pathonoia. BMC Bioinformatics 24, 53.
- Breitwieser, F. P., Baker, D. N., & Salzberg, S. L. (2018). KrakenUniq: confident and fast metagenomics classification using unique k-mer counts. Genome biology, 19(1), 1-10.
RNAdetector- New Tool for RNA-Seq Data Analysis
Installing TopHat2 on Ubuntu
TopHat is one of the most widely used tools for RNA-seq reads to map splice junction . It uses Bowtie to align mammalian genomes. The older versions of TopHat require the separate installation of SAMTools. But the versions 2.0 onwards come with an inbuilt stable SAMTools package. In this article, we will install TopHat2.1.1. on Ubuntu. (more…)
RNAIndel: A tool to identify somatic indels from tumor RNA-seq data
It is a challenging task to discover somatic coding indels that are generated during the preparation of the PCR-based RNA-seq library. A new tool called RNAIndel  has been developed for this purpose. (more…)
Differential Gene Expression Analysis of RNA-Seq data using MeV
Differential gene expression analysis helps in discovering quantitative changes in the expression levels between the experimental groups. For that, statistical testing is done using various software. In this article, we will analyze RNA seq count data using the edgeR module present in the Multiple Experiment Viewer (MeV) [1,2]. (more…)
Most widely used web servers/software for single-cell RNA-seq analysis
Gene expression in single cells is measured using single-cell RNA sequencing technology. It helps in finding new and available cell types of different tissues and organs. In this article, the most widely used web servers and software for single-cell RNA-seq analysis are discussed. (more…)